Last week, I created a fitted tablecloth for our kitchen table, and I love it! I was so tired of constantly scrubbing the table to get the the food off of it, and this makes it so much easier. It was really quite simple as well.
For the cloth, we have a few different ones (oil cloth, cotton, lined vinyl), but the important thing is to get something that is wide enough and washable.
- Fabric that is 6 inches wider and longer than your table (ex: if you table is a 36″ circle, you would get the width and length to each be 42″)
- 1/4 inch elastic (enough to go around the perimeter, though you won’t use that much of it).
- a sewing machine
1. Turn your cloth upside down on your table and trace around the edge with a pencil.
2. Cut the material with a 3″ border past the pencil mark. I used my pinking shears for an easier cut so I didn’t have to serge or hem anything yet.
3. Using a zigzag stitch, pull the elastic tight with one hand and feed through the machine close to the border with the other hand. This will give a nice tight fit.
4. Fit around your table and enjoy your protected tablecloth!