For my twins’ first birthday, I knew that we needed to celebrate the adventure of making through the first year with twins. One of the things that I wanted to make for their party was mason jar sleeves, but I couldn’t find the right fabric for it. We decided it would be better to create it ourselves instead of continue to search.
We started by having a gifted artist (Amelia Murdock of My Grandest Adventure) create an illustration of our babies. We turned it into a fabric on Spoonflower, and after going back and forth on the type of fabric, we decided on Performance Piqué because when the fabric stretches, it still retains details of the print.
Once we received the fabric, we were ready to start our projects. For this, I created two different kinds of sleeves, one using a standard sewing machine, and the other with my (new) serger/overlock machine.
Creating a Mason Jar Sleeve on a Standard Sewing Machine
First, I measured the circumference of the jar. In this case, it was 8.25” around.
From there, I created a template that gave a quarter-inch seam allowance for the top and bottom of the sleeve, and then I added an extra allowance on the side of 1 ¼”.
The great thing about using a template is that you can try it out on the mason jar first to make sure you are happy with the size. I used this template to cut the sleeves from the fabric.
Normally, I would press the seams, but Performance Pique doesn’t press well at all, so I just had to pin the quarter-inch seam allowance and sew the top and bottom seams.
I wanted a nice, chunky side seam on the top, so I let that seam allowance be ¾”, while I didn’t finish the final side.
To make sure I would have it fit the jar correctly, I sized the sleeve on the jar itself and marked it with a pin.
Using that pin as a guide, I carefully sewed the sides together to create the finished sleeve.
Creating a Mason Jar Sleeve on a Serger/Overlock Machine
I recently got a serger, and I wanted to see how well it would work for this project. Because I didn’t have to do any work or measurements with seam allowance, it was a much faster method of sewing 24 mason jar sleeves.
For this version, I used the same template as before, simply because I wanted my original rectangles to be slightly larger than what I would need in the finished product.
From there, I just ran the top and bottom sides through the serger.
This left me with unfinished sides.
I then pinned the sleeve onto the mason jar with the right sides touching.
I used that pin placement to serge the final side together.
Once the sleeve was turned right-side-out, I had the finished and clean edge where the two sides joined together.
So, with the two different machines, I came up with two completely different styles of mason jar sleeves. If you have a serger, I would definitely recommend that, because of the ease-of-use and speed in finishing a high number of mason jar sleeves. By using the sewing machine, it took some more time, but still came out with a great final product.