When we go out in public, we play a game: Count the Comments. We just count on our fingers the number of people that make some sort of comment about our twins. And woah, what comments we get! Here are the things that you should (and shouldn’t) say to a twin mom and dad.
Things Not to Say to a Twin Mom and Dad
- Look, twins!
- Hey honey, take a picture!
- Can I touch them?
- Are they twins?
- A boy and a girl? You’re done! (Note: Although we only wanted two children originally, I sometimes want to have more just so that people will not make this comment anymore.)
- Ugh. Twins./ I can’t imagine./ Shoot me./ (something equally as ugly)
- Are they natural?
- Did you do anything special to get them?
- Were you trying for twins?
- Did you plan that?
- They are so tiny!
- Oh, I had kids that were a year/two years apart. That’s just like twins.
- I always wanted twins!
- My sister/cousin/friend/acquaintance has twins! (Note: I don’t care unless you yourself have twins. Then you can tell me that.)
Things to Say to a Twin Mom and Dad
- What a blessing!
- You are a rock star!
- Congratulations. They are beautiful!
- You look amazing!
- Wow! YOU had twins?!
- ANYTHING from another twin mom or dad (they are generally really friendly and supportive)
So, what were some of the things that people have said to you that were wonderful or made you go “hm…”? You don’t have to be a Mother of Multiples to answer!
Want to join in on Munchkin Monday? Grab the button below: