This is a project that has been in the works since about May. While that was still very early in the pregnancy, I knew that we needed to have a closet overhaul eventually, and this was a relatively easy project that would give us some much needed space for organization. After looking at Pinterest for weeks, I figured out how I wanted it to be set out: shelves in the middle with hanging bars on either side for hanging clothes and accessories.
First, we had to tear apart the original-from-1987 gunky shelf and wooden rod. Unfortuantely, I didn’t get a picture beforehand, but you can see what happened once we put up the new closet. Look at that awful paint job leftover after our construction:
Now, what we should have done was to paint the inside of the closet BEFORE installing the built-in shelf and brackets. I was very anxious to get everything installed (remember, this was our first nursery project, and Tim didn’t want to battle with my early pregnancy hormones), so we put in the closet system without painting and touching up the walls yet. While we were able to work around the closet built-ins, I would definitely recommend being patient to anyone doing a closet overhaul.
We had to do some patching up from the old closet. Ah, we became really good at patching up drywall.
We were originally just going to paint the few strips of blank drywall white, but then I started thinking and remembering some closets I had seen on Pinterest: “You know what would be really pretty, Tim? It would be beautiful if we could take one of the darker shades of gray that we aren’t using on the walls in the nursery and use it in the closet. I mean, we already have a pint of paint. That will be enough to get going on it!”
Again, Tim (being the amazing husband that he is) was okay with my crazy last-minute project. So, I grabbed some spare brushes and we started painting.
As DIY painters must do, I left a message for Baby Girl (A) and Baby Boy (B). Although they won’t know it is there in the closet, we have picture proof for them:
At about lunchtime, we had run out of our pint of paint. Tim still had a smile on his face, but he was begging me to let him get a roller when he went to pick up more paint.
I said okay.
You can’t see his face in this next picture, but he was so happy to not have to paint with a brush anymore.
After two coats, we let it dry.
And, voila! Just in case you are curious, we used Benjamin Moore’s Stonington Gray for the closet.
We then added a nautical detail to the closet door.
I just want to include this cute picture from my Instagram. This is the little guy that holds the poles in the closet.
So the obligatory
Before During/After picture: